Monday, November 30, 2009

This day in History - A great man was born

Ok I'm going to take a break from my series on flight to do a quick post on one of my favorite statesmen and politicians of all time. The reason that I am doing this today is because he was born on this day in 1874. Although as far as I know he was not a Christian, God certainly used him to protect his people. This man led his people through five and a half long years of war. This man was a courageous and fiery orator. This man was a very keen and witty politician. This man was Winston Churchill. In the late 1930s when Adolf Hitler was taking Europe for himself one country at a time, Winston Churchill was one of the few politicians in England, or the world for that matter, who realized just how bad Hitler was. At the time almost nobody would listen to him and he was a social and political outcast, but eventually he was proven right and was made Prime Minister. He also proved to be an excellent military leader. His ability to lead came mostly from his ability to inspire people to follow him by his speaches. Here are some of my favorite quotes from him, first political quotes and then wit.
(P.S. Sorry if this doesn't sound very well written, I usually kinda ramble on without much of a logical pattern)

Political/Inspirational:

I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law.

Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Wit:

My most brilliant achievement was my ability to be able to persuade my wife to marry me.


Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.

I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.


These are just a few of my many favorite Churchill quotes, here is a link with a whole bunch more:

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/w/winston_churchill.html

Oh and of course I should put some pictures on.


























































No comments: